Monday, April 10, 2017

Home-Made Laundry Detergent

I'm always trying to find different ways to help save money in my home. This post is on how I make my Homemade Laundry Detergent. First thing I do is to make sure that I have ALL of my ingredients bought and ready.
3 Bars Fels Naptha Soap (grated) 
.97 X 3=$2.91
1 Box Borax......$3.97
1 Box Washing Soda.....3.97
2 Cups of Baking Soda....$2.24 for Box
2 Containers of Purex Fabric Softener Crystals ( I use Snuggle Booster packs=$3.97)
2 Containers of Oxyclean Powder (I personally don't use this. I find that it doesn't clean any better if it's used or not) But, some people love it.
First thing I do is grate the bars of soap. I use my handy dandy Salad Shooter. Each bar of soap fits perfectly into the opening on top. If you don't own a Salad Shooter then you can use a Food Processor with the grating attachment. You want it to be in small slivers.
















After all 3 bars are grated I then put the grated soap shavings into my food processor and add about a cup of borax to help with the mixing. If you don't add the powder then the soap shavings stay clumpy and don't break down into powder size.

This is what it should look like when it's done mixing. Do this to all 3 Bars.













I take my Snuggles and cut open each packet and put it into a container until they are all empty.

 Now take two kitchen garbage bags putting one inside of the other, so you have it double bagged and start putting all of the measured ingredients into it.
























When that's done, take the bag and tightly hold it closed and with your other hand, gently toss it back and forth to get all of the different powders mixed together. This is what it's going to look like when its all mixed together.
  






I then put it into containers with covers.
This is how much I came out with. If you use the 2 containers of Oxyclean then you'll come out with more containers than I did.
 
 I use about 1/8 cup per load.
You can add some drops of your favorite Essential Oils, but I like the smell just the way it is with the different powders. Let me know what you think if you decide to try it. Until then, Just keep being a Blessing to your family.

5 comments:

  1. I can see the cost benefit if you have a large family, especially with kids.
    I don't see the cost benefit for me, it's just me & my husband and our dog baby!
    We only wash 1-2 loads every other day or so.
    I buy the 4.5 lb box of Purex at the dollar store for $5.00. The box will last us over a month, so it wouldn't save me!
    But I do love learning how other ladies save money, so keep posting these, the next may be something I could/would use, thanks!!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie, It's nice to get some feed back on my post. Maybe one day soon I'll post something that may be of help to you. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the idea of making our own laundry detergent. It can be quite expensive to buy. Great to have you link up with us at #overthemoon. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I love linking up. My only problem is adding the link to my blog. No matter what I've tried, I can't figure out how to get other blogs linked to my sidebar. :-(

      Delete
  3. I love learning different ways of saving money, if not for me, then it's something I pass on to my kids!
    Everyone I know is on a budget, short like mine, or more room to play!
    I wish I knew people who never had to worry about money!!! It would be a very, very nice way to live. But for us? No such luck, a monthly disability check only stretches so far, and I'm good at the stretch.

    ReplyDelete